Thursday, July 03, 2008




Jesus was very clear on this subject in Matt 6:16-18 The funny thing is that He says WHEN you fast, this gives us the impression that it was to be done. You don't (I believe) have to pray about whether or not TO fast. If one prays about fasting at all it should be how long and how "strict" it is to be.

Other clarifications: Simply not eating, skipping a meal (on accident), or other like involuntary type events do NOT constitute a fast.

What is fasting? Biblically, fasting is abstaining from food, drink, sleep media or sex to focus on a period of spiritual growth and intimacy with God. Specifically, we humbly deny something of the flesh (our natural desires) to glorify God, enhance our spirit, and go deeper in our relationship with Him.

TheCall is coming up and I reminded myself of the discipline of fasting. I have gone through seasons of fasting and have not fasted for a while but I believe I shall be entering now into a time of fasting again. Wanna join me? Got Questions about fasting? leave a comment.

1 comments:

Henriet Schapelhouman said...

The church has forgotten the fast I think. We don't hear much about intentional fasting, yet Jesus includes it with "when you pray" and "when you give." I think it's an exercise and discipline that we need to add back to our spiritual lives.

Thanks for your post.